The White Mountain Community Health Center (WMCHC) is a private, non-profit 501(c)3 healthcare provider located in Conway, New Hampshire. The health center is the "safety net" provider of the greater Mount Washington Valley meaning it provides care to the underinsured and uninsured population of the region.
WMCHC is the result of a merger between the Children's Health Center and the Family Health Centre. The goal of the merger was to increase the availability of affordable primary health care to men, women and children. WMCHC is not part of or owned by Memorial Hospital, but recognizes and appreciates the many generous contributions of Memorial Hospital to the support of our mission.
Today, the health center provides services to over 3,500 area men, women and children. Patients have access to a wide array of medical and social services. WMCHC also maintains special funds in cooperation with community leaders and health advocates to assist patients with payment for a variety of medical issues. It employs over 30 people and returns over a million dollars to the local economy through wages and purchases of goods and services.*
*Capital Links Report for Bi-State Primary Care Association, 2004 figures.
Patient service revenues account for 54% of our income. The remaining 46% comes from the following sources of support :
- State of New Hampshire Program Funding
- Memorial Hospital
- Town appropriations
- Fundraising and donations
WMCHC does not receive federal funding on a regular basis. We will, on rare occasions, be appropriated funds to help cover costs.
WMCHC serves primarily Northern Carroll County and some border towns of western Maine .
Our payer mix is approximately 50% self pay (uninsured and underinsured); 25% Medicaid (NH and ME); 3% Medicare; and the remainder carry commercial insurance.
Half of our patient base lives with incomes at 150% or less of poverty level. A family of four making less than $31,800 is at 150% of poverty level.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
President: Brenda Leavitt, managing partner at Badger Realty and resident of Fryeburg
Vice President: Trish Murray, D.O., owner, T. Murray Wellness Center, Inc.
Treasurer: Angela Zakon, CPA, Leone, McDonnell and Roberts
Secretary: Barbara Gartland, Human Resources Director, The Echo Group
Eric Hirschfeld, DDS
Chris Meier, Attorney, Cooper, Cargill, Chant
Lori Hill, Loan Processor, Northway Bank
Janice Crawford, President, Mount Washington Valley Chamber of Commerce
Scott McKinnon, CEO, Memorial Hospital
Carol Hastings, retired educator
Robert Rose, MD
Ben Wilcox, General Manager of Cranmore Mountain Resort